Founded in 1935, and co-sponsored by the City of Palo Alto Division of Arts and Sciences, we are a group of serious amateur (and some professional) photographers interested in working together to enhance and broaden our photographic skills and artistic vision by:
- Showing our work at print and digital projection evenings for critique by an outside judge
- Learning from others with similar interests
- Participating in special programs and field trips
- other opportunities or activities requested by members, such as group exhibits at local galleries/museums
Who joins the PACC?
We each joined the club for the same reason: an interest in photography and desire to improve our skills. But each of us came with different experience levels. Some of us just got a new camera and wanted to learn how to use it and how to make better images. Some of us had some photography experience and wanted feedback on their images from others and wanted to learn more about various techniques for improving their images.
The best way to see whether the club is for you is to attend a few meetings. There you will observe the activities and meet members in an informal way. As discussed below, the club offers other features that can be instructive through our website and email communications.
What is it like being a club member?
Being a club member is like having access to an ‘all-you-can-eat’ photo buffet. You can attend events as time allows for you. You will get to meet and know like-minded members, learn from and share with them.
You will also receive regular photography-related news by emails found relevant by other club members. You will have a login to access members-only sections of this website, such as:
- our internal photo competition upload feature
- ability to ask questions and share your interests in photography (via our Yahoo PACamera Discussion Group)
- photo editing software tutorials
How much does it cost?
The annual membership for non-Palo Alto residents costs $60.00 per person.
Palo Alto residents benefit from a discounted rate with membership at $50.00.
The dues year begins in January, with payment due by Dec. 31 of the preceding year.
New members can join at anytime during the year.
Payments made on or after November 1 cover both the rest of the year and the following calendar year.
Our club is run by volunteer members.
All members, after enjoying the club benefits for a year or so, are encouraged to support the club operation by serving in at least one position.
- As of the end of 2012 our club has over 100 members
- About 30-40 members attend events on a regular basis
- About 15-20 members help running the club volunteering for small and larger tasks
- The volunteers put together an average of 60 events per year – including image competitions, critique evenings, special (educational) programs, field trips, our annual auction-potluck fundraiser, our Annual Photographic Arts presentation (open to the public)
- The Club helps facilitates photographic projects with the City of Palo Alto
We are affiliated with;
- The Northern California Council of Camera Clubs (N4C)
- The Photographic Society of America (PSA)
- PACC is co-sponsored by the City of Palo Alto Division of Arts and Sciences