IMPORTANT - GETTING AROUND ALCATRAZ
Much of Alcatraz is steep and hilly, so be prepared for walking long distances uphill. The distance from the dock to the prison at the top of the Island is about 1/4 mile (.4 km) and the elevation change is 130 feet (40 meters). This is equivalent to climbing a thirteen-story building. It will be best to travel light.
There is a broad range of items for photos, including:
Cityscape at golden hour while waiting for our boat to board and depart
The grunge of an old prison both inside and outside, while the lighting is changing around golden hour and twilight hour..
Sunset with the Golden Gate bridge and the San Francisco Skyline
Street Photography on Pier 39 on a Saturday night
The Tour we are taking is "Alcatraz By Night"
Voted 'Best Tour of the Bay Area,' the Alcatraz Night Tour provides a more intimate, engaging Alcatraz Island experience. This tour includes a personally narrated boat tour around the Island; guided tours from the dock to the main prison building; 'Doing Time: The Alcatraz Cellhouse Tour' and a variety of special programs and presentations offered only at night. Enjoy a sunset silhouetting the Golden Gate Bridge and breath-taking views of San Francisco as night falls. A truly exceptional experience.
• Arrive at Pier 33 to take the 3:50pm boat to Alcatraz. Note: Sunset is at 4:50pm
• Arrive Alcatraz at 4:05pm
We need to be part of the tour because of US Park Service safety rules, I will try to get our own guide for our group if our group is large enough.
• Be at Alcatraz Dock at 6:15pm to return to Pier 33
• Return to Pier 33 at 6:40pm Travel time is 15 minutes.
• Dinner Reservations at Pier Market Seafood Restaurant on Pier 39 at 7:30pm. Walk from Pier 33 is about 1/2 mile and takes about 10 minutes. Multiple group reservations of 6 people will be made. The restaurant's website is https://piermarket.com